Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 15th 2009, 03:22 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default About a girl

Somewhere I read that Dave Grohl covered about a girl.
Is there any validity to such a claim?
Old June 21st 2009, 06:38 PM
The Boss

Default Re: About a girl

yes and there's a less than zero chance of it getting out.
Your favorite album of the fall
Old October 16th 2009, 04:39 PM
I'll Stick Around

Someone was doing a benefit cd for children or Aids or something, he went to FF management trying to get in touch with Dave about if he would like to contribute it to it. Management shot him down.
Old February 20th 2010, 08:34 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

It all started with this site where it used to have a section entitled "Foo Dictionary." Under A, About a Girl was curiously listed and it said something along the lines of "Nirvana song Dave covered on a rainy day with Barrett Jones."

About a Girl is my favorite Nirvana tune and Dave's vocals on it intrigued me so me and a few others at LiveNirvana did some research. I was able to get Barrett Jones' email and asked him about the song. He actually responded claiming to know nothing about Dave covering it.

Quote:
"I'm not sure where this rumor got started, but for the record, as far as I know, Dave never did a cover of "about a girl" and If he did I have never heard it and I most definitely never recorded it.

sorry"
Granted as his close friend he might be covering for him as Dave has never entertained the idea of playing a Nirvana song and distanced himself from it. We pursued multiple traders and people in the know but no one knew anything about the song except that they heard it existed.

About a year later a guy made a post here about what unreleased songs we would want to get released. I made a reference to About a Girl and he shot me a message asking more about it. Turned out the guy was making a charitable album to benefit the homeless. He had met Barrett Jones before and contacted him about the song or other early Dave tracks to get donated. Barrett once again claimed to never have been involved with the song. However, he did scour his vault and we now know that Dave did a cover of the song "Kids in America." Barrett also looked for the supposed early demos "What I'm About" and "Back in Treatment." He couldn't find either so questions loom about there validity.

Ultimately, Foo's management had no interest in dealing with this guy or helping his charity and he could never get through to Dave.

For more info I point you to this thread from LiveNirvana that includes all the developments and detective work on our part. Thread went on for over a year.

http://www.livenirvana.com/forum/sho...highlight=girl

I don't think we will ever find out the truth about this recording until someone asks Dave himself about it although you have to think it was placed on the Foo Dictionary for a reason.
Old February 20th 2010, 10:55 PM
Have you found your way around

Thumbs up Re: About a girl

^^Thank you for your time and research!