PDA

View Full Version : Reunion Tour of Original Group

nostalgia
October 8th 2007, 12:46 AM
I heard someone mentioning this before..

If Foo Fighters ever did this.. meaning the line-up would consist of:

Dave
Pat
Willie
Nate

Would you prefer that over their lineup right now?

I know I would DIE if that ever happened..

They probably wouldn't play the new stuff.. but I think it'd be much cooler to hear Self-Titled songs such as Good Grief and Alone + Easy Target.. and some TCATS stuff as well maybe even some b-sides.

Plus we'd get to hear Winnebago again..

What is the likeliness of this happening?

None.. since Dave and Taylor practically have sex with eachother :(

walkingafteryou
October 8th 2007, 12:50 AM
zerrroooo chance. zero. i doubt william would ever want to come back. being in foo fighters gave the guy carpal tunnel. it would however, give me a boner.

haha
dave and taylor have sex? that's one way of putting it i guess.

Trevor93
October 8th 2007, 12:51 AM
The actual original line-up was:

Dave Grohl
Dave Grohl
Dave Grohl
Dave Grohl

So yeah that could be cool.

As for Pat and William. No. Pat's cool. William sucks. The band has not ever had a better line-up than the current.

nostalgia
October 8th 2007, 12:51 AM
Rip 1995-1997 :(

Kevthedrummer
October 8th 2007, 12:54 AM
yeah I wish.

I wish I was old enough and into Foo Fighters at the time. Would have been amazing.

Will does not suck.

nostalgia
October 8th 2007, 01:00 AM
William is much different that Taylor..

but he's equally as talented if not better than him.

Most kids on here were born in '96- so many do not appreciate the original album or the original lineup.

Sideburns
October 8th 2007, 01:02 AM
Most kids on here were born in '96

That would make them eleven years old. Sounds about right.

hewhoknowsall
October 8th 2007, 01:04 AM
that would be crazy.... No offense but Taylor is a much better drummer though, and I think the Foos have found what they were looking for band-member wise, and personally I think they sound better than they did before...

walkingafteryou
October 8th 2007, 01:06 AM
hahahhaahhahahah
see: taylor rocks!

nostalgia
October 8th 2007, 01:07 AM
Okay not '96.. but there are a lot of kids on here that are younger than 15.

i2hymnocerous
October 8th 2007, 01:10 AM
I guess it would be cool, I just don't see the point.

nostalgia
October 8th 2007, 01:12 AM
There is no point...

It would never ever happen..

I'm just being reminiscent and sappy.:(

Kevthedrummer
October 8th 2007, 01:12 AM
that would be crazy.... No offense but Taylor is a much better drummer though, and I think the Foos have found what they were looking for band-member wise, and personally I think they sound better than they did before...

none taken... But actually, how do you know who is the better drummer? How? And I ask because you're stating it as fact...

Blue Bird Special
October 8th 2007, 01:48 AM
The line up now IS Foo Fighters. They should not ever change since what they have now is perfect.

nostalgia
October 8th 2007, 01:49 AM
Alright. :(

Satangel
October 8th 2007, 02:20 AM
I donīt like Pat very much, I hate his live performances, but I think that Foo Fighters with him in it would be a totaly different band than what it is today, I donīt know it would better or not, just different. I think he is a better guitar player than Chris.

jekyll31487
October 8th 2007, 02:34 AM
i think its funny that this thread was started by "nostalgia"...too bad my name isn't "irony" :)

GibsonFoo19
October 8th 2007, 03:22 AM
is pat gay?

and william sucks man...taylor is like 2038328329032-042-2381023-0032ad38302op times better than him. i dont know why people dont like taylor.

Big-Tomson
October 8th 2007, 03:49 AM
Anyone who says William is a shit drummer obviously has no idea what they are talking about

Number 46
October 8th 2007, 06:07 AM
Quit living in the past man

Fred Meyer on Aurora
October 8th 2007, 06:25 AM
Quit living in the past man

Amen. 12 years in and still relevant. Top of their game. As good live as ever. Great new record out. Great new cover out. And what the hell, for you Pat fans, let's throw him in for the tour....he'll be onstage (plus appears on the new record - recorded part of Let It Die).

Anything else?

Fred Meyer on Aurora
October 8th 2007, 06:33 AM
Double post -- sorry, my PC farted again.

Macs Power
October 8th 2007, 06:43 AM
you could of just edit your quote from before

DaneisKing1389
October 8th 2007, 02:55 PM
I haven't seen or heard anything that puts him in the realm of Taylor to be honest.

I agree. Taylor is phenomenal when he shows it.

Chandler
October 8th 2007, 03:03 PM
the real problem is William. He's not a drummer

Haroon
October 8th 2007, 03:13 PM
Wait a sec.

If Dave drummed on the first and the second records (apart from like about 1 min in a couple of songs from Will) and will quit during TCATS recording then really he hasn't added much to the band.

Trevor93
October 8th 2007, 03:16 PM
He was the bands drummer for two songs. Other than that he was a live replacement for Dave who has not yet learned how to play drums, guitar, and sing all at one time.

knight1982
October 8th 2007, 03:20 PM
I think the old lineup was great, but it was so short-lived. I can't imagine they'd be as good as their current lineup.

pinky
October 8th 2007, 03:25 PM
i'd pay big $$$ to see Franz with an acoustic playing foo covers.

Chandler
October 8th 2007, 03:47 PM
Wait a sec.

If Dave drummed on the first and the second records (apart from like about 1 min in a couple of songs from Will) and will quit during TCATS recording then really he hasn't added much to the band.

bingo

robissimo
October 8th 2007, 03:49 PM
i don't care who the better drummer is.

i like the group as they are now.

so some people claim that pat is better than chris or will is better than taylor.

i like the look and sound of them now more than ever. much more eclectic and i hear much more talent.

pat goes on the road with them...so that's enough.

i don't ever want to see a foo show without taylor hawkins.

Chandler
October 8th 2007, 03:57 PM
taylor hawkins IS the foo fighters. There is no way at all he should be changed, even for a single reunion show

Jamie
October 8th 2007, 04:03 PM
I don't think I need to post my opinions on Pat rejoining again :)

is pat gay?

and william sucks man

Sounds like William is the gay one then ;)

Chandler
October 8th 2007, 04:07 PM
i dont care if pat is gay, he's cool the way he is ;)

Count Draculara
October 8th 2007, 04:08 PM
I donīt like Pat very much, I hate his live performances, but I think that Foo Fighters with him in it would be a totaly different band than what it is today, I donīt know it would better or not, just different. I think he is a better guitar player than Chris.

You're not serious.

Not even Pat would say he's a better player than Chris.:rolleyes:

I don't think I need to post my opinions on Pat rejoining again :)

:mad:

stu250
October 8th 2007, 04:44 PM
maybe not for a whole show - but i would like to hear "i'll stick around" with that line-up.

stu.

Magnus213
October 8th 2007, 04:49 PM
Okay not '96.. but there are a lot of kids on here that are younger than 15.
...you're 17. You were 5 years old when the band formed. I don't see your point. Hell, I'm only 18, I don't see the lament here.

knight1982
October 8th 2007, 06:14 PM
Dude, they're only missing two members technically. Thats really low compared to most bands today. Pat is around touring as well. Its like a fivesome right now. These ARE the Foo Fighters.

Good point - I really don't see the point in a "reunion" lineup. Like I said previously, these former members were very brief members...

lilmanjs
October 8th 2007, 06:22 PM
I think if they played a couple of songs together I'd be happy, but no tour and no whole show. weenie beenie was crappy played live by them.(at least the recordings I have) this is a call and I'll stick around are the songs they did the best. also they might play an early version of My Hero.

OldFooFan
October 8th 2007, 06:22 PM
I guess if Will is shitty then Dave must be a really shitty drummer if he couldn't tell a shitty drummer from a good one. He is the one who asked William to join, tried to keep Will in the band even after the TCATS sessions, and continued singing his praises even after Taylor joined. That Dave, he had us all fooled into thinking he was a good drummer...

Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but the ones who usually think William sucks are 1)not drummers and 2)usually have their Foo history completely wrong.

Quick Foo history lession: William did not leave the band during the TCATS sessions; he left after the entire album was finished and the band still hoped to persuade him to stay. But let's not let facts get into the way of a good argument...

stattic6
October 8th 2007, 10:10 PM
I love William's drumming with SDRE. But at the same time, William isn't a Foo Fighter in the same way Taylor is. William didn't really shape the band's image the same way Taylor helped to.

I'll never identify William with the Foos, I'll always identify him with SDRE. Whereas, I'll never identify Taylor with Alanis Morrisette, I'll always identify him as a Foo Fighter.

That being said, I'd enjoy a REAL original lineup reunion tour, in which Dave would run around the stage and play every instrument, with the exception of one guitar part on one song played by Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs.

Dave T.
October 8th 2007, 10:22 PM
I guess if Will is shitty then Dave must be a really shitty drummer if he couldn't tell a shitty drummer from a good one. He is the one who asked William to join, tried to keep Will in the band even after the TCATS sessions, and continued singing his praises even after Taylor joined. That Dave, he had us all fooled into thinking he was a good drummer...

Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but the ones who usually think William sucks are 1)not drummers and 2)usually have their Foo history completely wrong.

Quick Foo history lession: William did not leave the band during the TCATS sessions; he left after the entire album was finished and the band still hoped to persuade him to stay. But let's not let facts get into the way of a good argument...

I wouldn't go so far as to say Will sucks he doesn't but I wasn't very impressed with his playing while he was in the band. I'm not talking about stuff he has done with SDRE. 1. I am not a drummer but I do have ears and play a couple instruments myself. 2. I have been a fan just as long as you have (I'm assuming by your name you mean the beginning). I know my foo history quite well. And you are right he didn't leave during the TCATS sessions. He left after the record was done and he found out Dave had redone almost all the drumming because Gil asked him too because Will's wasn't good enough. It's also true that they asked him to stay but obviously Dave had to know there was no chance of that happening. Dave did a pretty shitty thing by not communicating with Will what was going on so you can't blame Will for leaving at all. That being said his drumming wasn't up to par at that time (and I know he had reasons) so that's why Taylor was and is better for the band.

Tim
October 8th 2007, 10:28 PM
William uis and was a phenomenal drummer. I'm not sure he really fit what the band was trying to do at the time but there was a certain something lacking in that original lineup that you can hear now. Maybe if they had longer together (this lineups been playing together 4x as long as the original one did), it'd be different.

And I don't really think you'll see any full-fledged reunion with Will or Franz involved anytime soon.

Chandler
October 8th 2007, 10:34 PM
william just didnt fit with the live performances

Trevor93
October 9th 2007, 01:10 AM
Performances are much better now. I think it's because the 4 guys playing together fit better together than any other incarnation of the band. Especially between Dave and Taylor. You'd think they were brothers.

Zippy Ate My Drumkit
October 9th 2007, 01:30 AM
Pat > Dave > The rest of them > A pebble > Will

Dave T.
October 9th 2007, 01:45 AM
Pat > Dave > The rest of them > A pebble > Will

Pat is a horrible singer and average guitar player.

Zippy Ate My Drumkit
October 9th 2007, 01:51 AM
Pat is a horrible singer and average guitar player.

So's your face.

nostalgia
October 9th 2007, 02:08 AM
Honestly.. how can anyone not like Pat?

He was an original.. and closer to Dave than anyone else was prior to Taylor. He brought so much energy to the band and his roots back to Nirvana days mean a lot too.

Dave T.
October 9th 2007, 03:49 AM
Honestly.. how can anyone not like Pat?

He was an original.. and closer to Dave than anyone else was prior to Taylor. He brought so much energy to the band and his roots back to Nirvana days mean a lot too.

I never said I didn't like him. I just don't understand why he is held up to this god like status by so many people.

Tim
October 9th 2007, 04:21 AM
I like Pat. A lot.

But the fact that he spent a few months touring with Nirvana doesn't really mean much to me. It's not 1995 anymore.

He's a fun performer to watch too, but Shiflett earned his status as THE guy a loooong time ago. Pat playing with em again is just a nice bonus.

robissimo
October 9th 2007, 05:42 AM
I like Pat. A lot.

But the fact that he spent a few months touring with Nirvana doesn't really mean much to me. It's not 1995 anymore.

He's a fun performer to watch too, but Shiflett earned his status as THE guy a loooong time ago. Pat playing with em again is just a nice bonus.

i agree. why does everyone have to reminisce so much on the past. why not enjoy the FOOs now, with its touring members?

I LOVE watching Shifty and Taylor on stage. They need not be replaced. If Will or Franz want to come on tour with them...then sure...why not. But I'm perfectly happy with this generation of Foo Fighters.

gerry_foo
October 9th 2007, 07:44 AM
Will goldsmith is definitely a great drummer. But honestly i dont think he's a patch on Taylor. Taylors style IS Foo Fighters. William was definitely lacking SOMETHING. and whatever that SOMETHING was taylor has it by the bucketload! He's the man.

Foofranky
October 9th 2007, 05:49 PM
if william is such a shit drummer, how come he managed daves drum parts on tour? he sounds pretty fuckin' decent from videos i've seen! if he sucked, why would dave ask him to be in the band?

and the foo's won't have the perfect line up untill they have me playing with them!

Kevthedrummer
October 9th 2007, 05:52 PM
if william is such a shit drummer, how come he managed daves drum parts on tour? he sounds pretty fuckin' decent from videos i've seen! if he sucked, why would dave ask him to be in the band?

and the foo's won't have the perfect line up untill they have me playing with them!

amen brother... to the first part :D

OldFooFan
October 9th 2007, 06:27 PM
This line-up IS the Foo Fighters. They've been together 8 years and recorded 3 albums together.
But don't most fans consider them the worst three? (I don't, but jus' sayin'...)

OldFooFan
October 9th 2007, 06:32 PM
Will goldsmith is definitely a great drummer. But honestly i dont think he's a patch on Taylor. Taylors style IS Foo Fighters. William was definitely lacking SOMETHING. and whatever that SOMETHING was taylor has it by the bucketload! He's the man.
William wasn't lacking anything, but he does lack what it takes to play with them now. Taylor helped reshape the band to what it is today, so of course Taylor is a better fit now.

FooFightTheFuture
October 9th 2007, 06:55 PM
the live recordings right after taylor joined are way better than the ones with william...i'm not saying william sucks, but i def think taylor is way better for foo fighters than william was...

I mean it honestly isn't even close........

OldFooFan
October 9th 2007, 07:25 PM
the live recordings right after taylor joined are way better than the ones with william...i'm not saying william sucks, but i def think taylor is way better for foo fighters than william was...

I mean it honestly isn't even close........
True, but if we're just talking skill, Dave isn't even close to Taylor's level. That doesn't mean Dave's a shit drummer.

And there are still songs which sounded better with William to me. I'll Stick Around, for one. The song TCATS for another.

I liked William's fast Floaty better than Dave's; the beat was faster and had more and better fills.

EDIT: Underrated SDRE song. Love the drumming; it sounds very Taylor-esque at the end (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RKSNtxIq7Ws&mode=related&search=).

Tim
October 9th 2007, 08:24 PM
This isn't a knock on Taylor, but I thought the shows sorta took a huge step back when he initially joined. Songs were noticeably slower and there was a perfectly normal adjustment period.

Little things he added like "Holy Shit, is he doing 8th notes on the high hat with his foot for Wattershed!" type stuff didn't really change this.

And I think part of it is that they played for 3 months as a band with one new member and one member who was on his way out.

By late 1997, early 1998, that's when they started to sound like a superior band than they'd been before.

And when the switch was Franz to Chris, there was another period of adjustment that took a while for them to get through. But by the time they were opening for RHCP in arenas, they were tighter than ever.

It's pretty hard for a band to change 1/4 the lineup a dn not take a while to really ease into it.

Even from tour to tour, they always seem to get better the later into the tour they are.

OldFooFan
October 10th 2007, 04:59 PM
What few fans know now is that when Taylor first joined, Foo fans were in utter disbelief, some downright pissed. I think most fans wanted to hate Taylor. Mike Cunningham, whose Foo page was, along with Chris Carmen's, the place for breaking Foo news, broke the news about Taylor joining almost like breaking news of a death and then just wrote, "Pretty sad."

Taylor proved himself pretty quickly, but I think it really helped that he wasn't "the new guy" for very long.

And I think part of it is that they played for 3 months as a band with one new member and one member who was on his way out.

By late 1997, early 1998, that's when they started to sound like a superior band than they'd been before.
That's how I remember it. I saw the guys play in October with Franz and thought it sounded okay. I didn't hear anything from the band again until Edgefest '98 and I was absolutely blown away by how tight a band they had become.

LongHairGuy
October 10th 2007, 07:09 PM
I don't mind the line up as it is today. But sure, it would be cool if that would happen.

nostalgia
October 10th 2007, 11:08 PM
I definetly agree that Taylor's presence slows everything down...

I hate to not like someone that every Foo Fan loves.. but I just feel like Taylor doesn't seem to be in Foo Fighters. The Coattail Riders is a type of band that I see him playing in.. some sort of tribute to the '70's. I feel like he's added this classic rock vibe to the band.. getting them to play with Queen, Brian May, and the likes. I know many people loved that.. but that's what I'm into and not what I think of when it comes to Foo Fighters. I think strictly of that blend Pop Rock and Grunge (aka post-grunge) rhythmic songs. Willie was perfect when it came to that simply because he was such a fast drummer. I also loved Pat in the band as well because it had that notion of familiarity. I don't mind Chris.. he's a great guitarist.. and it always helps that Dave is still and always in charge. I think the reason I loved the acoustic disc of In Your Honor so much is because it was mostly all Dave. It seems to me that Dave music styles differ so much from Chris and especially Taylor's. I just don't like Taylor's influence on him.

jonseri
October 11th 2007, 05:53 AM

I hate to not like someone that every Foo Fan loves.. but I just feel like Taylor doesn't seem to be in Foo Fighters. The Coattail Riders is a type of band that I see him playing in.. some sort of tribute to the '70's. I feel like he's added this classic rock vibe to the band.. getting them to play with Queen, Brian May, and the likes. I know many people loved that.. but that's what I'm into and not what I think of when it comes to Foo Fighters. I think strictly of that blend Pop Rock and Grunge (aka post-grunge) rhythmic songs. Willie was perfect when it came to that simply because he was such a fast drummer. I also loved Pat in the band as well because it had that notion of familiarity. I don't mind Chris.. he's a great guitarist.. and it always helps that Dave is still and always in charge. I think the reason I loved the acoustic disc of In Your Honor so much is because it was mostly all Dave. It seems to me that Dave music styles differ so much from Chris and especially Taylor's. I just don't like Taylor's influence on him.

:eek: I definitely don't agree. I think that Taylor makes the band really shine. I've been a HUGE fan since the beginning of time, and I think this new stuff is better than the earlier songs.

LongHairGuy
October 11th 2007, 04:54 PM

I think your right. I don't hate Taylor. But I'd' prefer to see William G. on the drums. He had that fast, hard and aggressive style.

El Scorcho
October 11th 2007, 04:56 PM
You people are weird.

.skinandbones.
October 11th 2007, 05:36 PM
Jeez in my opinion Taylor is a great drummer and if he left now the Foo's wouldn't ever be the same. The band seem a lot tighter and closer nowadays than with the original members (with the exception of Pat who still gets involved today which is really cool) I love the fact that Taylor and Dave are so close - it means the foo's should be around for a long long time to come!!

foonut
October 11th 2007, 07:01 PM
The original line up was great..they are what got me into the Foo Fighters to begin with..BUT The current lineup is how it is supposed to be!! If Chris and Taylor weren't there it wouldnt be the same band anymore (obviously) so NO THANK YOU to an original line up...I couldnt live without Chris and Taylor!!!

foonut
October 11th 2007, 07:02 PM

wow..you are truly out of your mind! If you dont like Taylor and Chris then you dont like the Foo Fighters...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kevthedrummer
October 11th 2007, 07:08 PM
Jeez in my opinion Taylor is a great drummer and if he left now the Foo's wouldn't ever be the same. The band seem a lot tighter and closer nowadays than with the original members (with the exception of Pat who still gets involved today which is really cool) I love the fact that Taylor and Dave are so close - it means the foo's should be around for a long long time to come!!
I think it should mean that they have their little musical adventures as a side project rather than staining the foos name.

controversial opinion I know.

I'll be happy if Dave does another Probot esque album, just to see if he still has it. Though last years song "vile" which he wrote and performed demonstarted some classic foo rock. He has still got it, he just seems to have a complex with the foo material.

nostalgia
October 12th 2007, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by KevTheDrummer
I think it should mean that they have their little musical adventures as a side project rather than staining the foos name.

This is what I mean...

Hell.. I'd even go further and say I'd love to see Dave make another Foo Fighters album solo. The other reason I loved the original lineup is because he pretty much dominated every opinion up and until Taylor showed up.

foophan666
October 12th 2007, 04:30 AM
I'd hate to be in a band with a postboard!!:rolleyes:
The only part I don't like about William is he doesn't seem to proud to say he was in the Foo's!To get him to sign somthing of Foo with him on it is always tuff!!

and Pat's got great "GAY" taste then!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/foophan666/Foo%20PostBoard/DSC_0225.jpg

greggie195
October 12th 2007, 04:50 AM

I agree and if you look close Dave and Taylor are starting to look alike.

and Pat is Great!!! its great to see him on tour with the band again!

foonut
October 12th 2007, 12:15 PM
I'd hate to be in a band with a postboard!!:rolleyes:
The only part I don't like about William is he doesn't seem to proud to say he was in the Foo's!To get him to sign somthing of Foo with him on it is always tuff!!

and Pat's got great "GAY" taste then!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/foophan666/Foo%20PostBoard/DSC_0225.jpg

haha Oh kev...I would hate to be in a band with the postboarders too lol
When I met William, someone pointed out the matching tatt he has with Dave and he said that was something he got with his lifelong enemy...kind of upset me. Obviously there is bad blood there maybe he wants to forget Foo..he was good but oh well. Taylor is better. :)

love me or die
October 12th 2007, 02:10 PM
remember that taylor played only half of TINLTL. the reason why he lasted longer in the band than will is that he was okay with dave playing on recordings. i think will fit really well with the band, but the band did not fit that well with him. i pretty shure thats how he feels to.

its impossible to tell how the band would have developed with will on board, but when it comes to pat/franz/chris i think the change have been for the better, at least musically. pat was cool, but not very good...

but a reunion tour would be fun. and come on, there is no way chris and taylor would be ditched forever because of a tour like this.

LoveMeJaded
October 12th 2007, 02:22 PM
This is an insane discussion, Taylor regardless of opinon, is one of the best dummers alive today. Anyone that plays or has a vast musical knowledge should know that. And you wish he was replaced by a dude that fell off the face of the Earth the minute Dave left him behind. A dude that honestly couldn't play the stuff the way dave did on the record. It's nice to wish it's 1995, we were all younger then, and I think that's more of why people want things to be the way they were then, it's like an emotional timemachine for some folk. But in the grand scheme of things, and looking at the Foo Fighters as a band instead of an ideal, wishing William was in the band is like wishing Pete Best stayed with the Beatles, that maybe Plant never shoulda looked twice at Zep, or better yet, Nirvana never shoulda picked up that Dave dude. That's how important Taylor is to the Foo Fighters.

robissimo
October 12th 2007, 05:56 PM
But don't most fans consider them the worst three? (I don't, but jus' sayin'...)

worst three albums? whatever. but best shows live.