PDA

View Full Version : Dave Grohl: Sick of being called nirvana hired gun

Foo'd
September 25th 2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/dave_grohl_sick_of_being_called_nirvanas_hired_gun .html

Nirvana was the defining rock band of a generation, so you would think that Dave Grohl would be considered a living legend. And even though that is the case to many people, there are others out there who think Grohl was just the "Grunge Ringo"; a fill-in drummer who was nothing more than a pawn in Kurt Cobain's masterplan.

Grohl recently expressed his thoughts towards his detractors.

"I was actually Nirvana's fifth drummer and if you listen to the recordings with the previous guys you will notice it sounds different,” said Grohl. “ have been called hired guns and I just laugh. Anyone who has ever been in a band, hell….anyone understands what happens when one of those elements is removed. It just falls apart."

Overall, it's amazing how humble he is about the situation, all things considered. He could come out for an interview, kick the reporter in the balls, and yell, "I'm Dave Grohl, I was in Nirvana, bow before me!" and the reporter would pretty much have to oblige.

Luckily for him, most people with any sense recognize his contribution to Nirvana. You don't have to look any further than the drum intro for "Smells Like Teen Spirit," which altered the whole course of music. Kurt Cobain wrote the song, and may have had an idea in his head about how the drums should sound, but Dave Grohl is the one that brought the idea to life. Not many drummers could've done that (which is proven by the fact that Nirvana had four other drummers that didn't last).
[B]
Grohl and his new band, the Foo Fighters , have an album called Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace coming out tomorrow.

lostlocke
September 25th 2007, 06:14 PM
New band? That's a riot!!!

Foo'd
September 25th 2007, 07:23 PM
No its ridiculous lol.

JMNichols
September 25th 2007, 07:24 PM
New band? That's a riot!!!

HAHAHA...thats great.... too bad they don't mention that the Foo Fighters have been a band for the past 12 years... maybe they didn't get notice until Dave joined recently?

foryoutofeelalive
September 25th 2007, 07:30 PM
LMMFAO yea whoever wrote this must have known they arent a new band because he knew the album and he couldnt have thought it was their first album. or he could have, being a dumbass.

walkingafteryou
September 25th 2007, 08:48 PM
who is nirvana?

i'm kidding. (:

Highway To Hell
September 25th 2007, 08:52 PM
''I'm Dave Grohl, Bow Before Me I was In Nirvana''

That guy is a fucking dick.

subliminal
September 25th 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry but in music whenever 'Nirvana' is mentioned, Grohl or Cobain comes straight to mind.

How anyone could say he was a hired gun is beyond me.

Highway To Hell
September 25th 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry but in music whenever 'Nirvana' is mentioned, Grohl or Cobain comes straight to mind.

How anyone could say he was a hired gun is beyond me.

Yep.. What the fuck!! :)

lostlocke
September 25th 2007, 09:11 PM
exactly. whenever anyone thinks of nirvana you think of dave being part of the band. I don't know why the hell anyone would say that "hired gun" bullshit.